Rob and I are celebrating 3 years of marriage on Wednesday, September 18th! On one hand it doesn't seem that we have even been together that long... seems like we started dating yesterday. But on the other, it also seems like forever, as it seems that he's always been my other half, a part of me. I cannot imagine life without him, nor do I want to. He truly is my best friend in this world. My soul. My heart... a part of me!
ourselves. Marriage has a way of pointing out the ugly in yourself. Our spouses are truly our mirrors... it's fun when the reflection is good, but ouch... sometimes its not so great!
I just wanted to journal a few things that Rob, along with God, have shown me over the years or that I have learned about marriage or myself in general, in hopes to hold on to these over the years... as, really, I learn something new everyday!
• marriage is real life. it isn't all fairy tales and unicorns. it isn't the movies. it's hard. it's work, but every second is worth it!
• say you're sorry. even if you feel like it was all his fault. it isn't a competition (we still struggle with this, because we are both SO competitive!!!). it's amazing how fast you can learn and move on after an apology.
• being a "good wife" or a "godly wife" doesn't come naturally... it takes effort, intention, and a lot of God's help... And I continue to fall short on a daily basis!
• show your appreciation. praise your spouses strengths... even their weaknesses!
• God truly did not intend for man (or woman) to be alone. I depend on my husband in many ways... and for someone who is, by nature, very independent and has always had a "i'll do it myself attitude"... this is true irony. it's not just the "stuff" he does for me... but the togetherness i depend on as well. he is truly my other half. i miss him when we aren't together.
• i'm imperfect. i married an imperfect person. this is where grace comes in! there are and will be moments we let each other down, but it's important to love one another's intentions and efforts...not the actual result.
• we are different. this was a big shocker to me. as silly as it sounds, he and i are SO much alike that it took me a bit to realize we are different people and respond in different ways. after i stopped expecting him to respond as i would or do things i would... it made life a lot easier!
• destruction doesn't happen in a day, or even in a second... it's the slivers of temptation or even lack of grace, that allow the enemy to squeeze in and cause havoc in a marriage. be intentional every day to protect the precious union i've been blessed with!
• my husband deserves my best. my life circumstances, such as a bad day at work shouldn't dictate my personality, integrity, and especially not the amount of love and passion i put into my marriage. (i struggle with this one).
• when rob and i exchanged our vows we became OUR family. our extended family and friends shouldn't come before US and what God has for us.
• my marriage is not about me, it’s about the Lord!
• learn contentment when life doesn’t go according to my plan. (Still learning this one!)
• as a Godly wife, i need a boatload of trust in the Lord for all aspects of my life.
I just wanted to share some of my favorite pictures of us over the years... our little journey through the lens...
|a Tisthammer family bbq... right after we officially became Us. really, everyone deserves someone that looks at them the way he's looking at me in this picture. sigh.... September 2008|
|pretty self explanatory... we have a lot of goofy fun together! Spring 2009|
|♥ one of our weekends at the Crystal Cove beach cottage. February 2009|
|August 2009, we had almost been an Us for a year... he still makes me smile like that!|
|dancing the night away at Matt & Leah's wedding... August 2009. our first trip to the springs together ♥|
|our engagement. he proposed to me down that little road, right on the creek bank. perfection! April 2010.|
|we had a lot
of fun our first year of marriage! one of my favorite summers of my
life!!! we went out a lot and made the most of our last summer in CA! ♥
|The OC Fair, summer 2011.|
|my Birthday at Disneyland, December 2011.|
|really, this picture really captures the happiness and perfection of our wedding day!! ♥|
|Our First Anniversary, September 2011|
|Our 2nd Anniversary, September 2012|
|January 2012 ♥ Dinner at Orange Hill|
|one of my all time favorites!|
|Camping, May 2012|
|October Sunset date on the beach. ♥|
|nerd love ♥ Valentines Day 2012|
|he's mine forever. i'm one blessed girl!!!|